Make the most of our online services
Appointments / Telephone Triage
Throughout the pandemic we have offered telephone triage, video consultations and face to face appointments (where clinically necessary). The demand on our resources throughout the pandemic has been high but remained relatively stable over the last year, we are now seeing an exponential increase in demand for appointments and we must ensure that those patients with the greatest clinical need are prioritised.
We will continue to offer a mix of telephone and face to face appointments with our clinicians and our skilled reception team will continue to ask you for as much information as you are comfortable share to enable them to quickly direct you to the most appropriate source of care.
If you are unwell and think you have symptoms of Covid 19 you should immediately self-isolated and either go the NHS Wales online symptom checker or dial 119 to arrange a test.
Booking an Appointment
If you need to book an appointment at the practice please call reception on 01691 648054.
Urgent Appointment Requests
If your request is for urgent medical attention on the day the receptionist will take as much information as they can from you and will book an acute telephone triage appointment for the same day. It is important that you provide as much information as you can for urgent appointments to ensure that the clinicians triaging all urgent requests are able to prioritise patients based on clinical need.
Routine Appointment Requests
If your request is for a routine appointment with either a Practice Nurse or Health Care Assistant the receptionist will take as much information as they can from you and book the most appropriate appointment directly for you.
Please telephone reception before 12pm if you require a home visit that day. A doctor or nurse may phone you back as it may be that your problem can be dealt with by telephone advice, or that it would be more appropriate to send a district nurse, or indeed arrange a hospital attendance.
Home visits are only available for patients who are housebound because of illness or disability. Please remember that several patients can be seen in the practice in the time that it takes to make one home visit, there are also better facilities for examining and treating patients at the surgery.
Cancellations & Reminders
Cancel an Appointment
It is important that you inform the reception staff if you are unable to attend your appointment, this will allow that appointment to be offered to another patient. If you need to cancel your appointment please contact us on 01691 648054, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointments with Medical Students/ Registrars
As a practice we would like to welcome two GP registrars - Dr David Griffiths and Dr Tarig Mohammed
GP registrars are doctors training to become GPs. Llanfyllin Group Practice is accredited as a GP Training Practice , GP registrars are attached to one of the doctors here at the practice who is their trainer. The GP registrar is a fully qualified doctor who is likely to have a lot of experience of hospital medicine.
Each GP Registrar will remain with us for a period of 6-12 months so you may therefore be offered an appointment with the GP registrar. By the time you see a GP registrar they will have spent at least 5 years at medical school to qualify as a doctor. Then they will have done 2 years working in hospitals followed by a 3 year training programme to become a GP, during which they will spend 18 months in a training practice. So by the time you see this doctor they may well have been working as a doctor for a period of up to 4 years.
Late For Your Appointment
Please attend your appointment on time, if you are late you may not be seen. If you are not seen you will not be able to rearrange your appointment until the next working day-except in the event of an medical emergency that requires immediate attention.
If you require an interpreter to attend with you when you see your Doctor please notify the receptionist and she will arrange this for you.
Useful Information when attending the Practice for an Appointment
- If you are offered a face to face appointment we will look and feel a little differently when you attend at the surgery. You will be met at the door by a team member wearing PPE who will check you in. Your clinician will see you wearing PPE which can include a mask, visor, apron and gloves.
- Please only attend at your appointment time, we will not be able to see you earlier as we have strict infection control processes in place between patients to ensure we keep both patients and staff safe
- All patients are being asked to attend the surgery wearing a face covering, this is in line with Welsh Government guidance
- Changing PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) between each patient adds additional time to the end of each appointment. Prior to Coronavirus a face to face appointment with a clinician would be 10 - 15 minutes. Now an appointment will often involve a 10 - 15 minute telephone triage call followed up if appropriate with a face to face appointment of 10 - 15 minutes and a further 10 - 15 minutes of PPE change and cleaning. This adds an additional pressure on the clinical time we have available and one of the reasons we must ensure patients who are seen face to face are only seen when clinically appropriate
- We understand that some patients are reluctant to come and see us in the surgery as they’re worried. We’re making sure that social distancing is as good as it possibly can be and that we maintain a ‘COVID-secure’ environment. Some of the things we take into account when we’re considering this are: the number of people in the waiting room, the number of people who pass each other in the corridors, and the toilet facilities that are available.
- Our staff are people too, and some may have ethnicity or health issues that make them more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. As caring employers, we need to ensure that we keep our staff safe as well. We take the necessary precautions to keep both our staff and our patients safe.
- If at all possible attend your appointment alone.
- N.B. All incoming/outgoing telephone calls are recorded for safety and quality purposes
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic we are only currently able to offer appointments booked by telephone and are not able to offer online appointment booking. It remains very important that only patients who clinically need to be seen present at the surgery and we continue to keep this under review following guidance from Welsh Government and Public Health Wales